Ayutthaya, Thailand
Thursday, June 25, 2009
I had a quick one week stopover in Thailand between New Zealand and Sweden while getting back up to the Northern hemisphere. But I managed to see quite a lot, this was my wonderful stay in Ayutthaya, Thailand's old capital and filled with old temples.

From Bangkok its about 2 or 3 hours by local train to go to Ayutthaya. The prices can vary between 20 to 200 baht, so be careful where and when you buy your ticket. Never take the tourist bus, they are way to expensive. The trains are quite comfortable but don't take to much luggage, then you'll be ok. And buy some food + water before the trip, they'll be heaps of salesmen- /woman on the train but again - more expensive.

The train station in Ayutthaya, this is how they all look. Cute, nice and... simple?
Looking out of the window while one the train towards Ayutthaya.


They are selling food on board the train too but its more expensive.


Its so easy spotting other tourists/backpackers like yourself and often a lot easier and sometimes nicer to see the sights with them. I found two on the train, wanting to see all the temples there as well. Thailander's will always try to "fool" you into believing that you can't get across to the other side of the river without paying for the tuk-tuk. Or that it would take you way to long to see the sights by foot or renting a bike. But what the heck, they have to make a living and I know that I'll always find out after a while where the cheapest transportation is to get to my goal. So I paid 80 bath to get across the river with a tuk-tuk and to a sweet guest house called "Tony's Place". Where I barted, and flirted, my way into a room with a fan for 150 baht per night. Sweet as! My own room!!!

My first own room with a bed for... I can't even remember how long.


Tony's Place, my guest house.


Our Tuk-Tuk driver for the day.

Afterwards we, the two guys I meet on the train, and the tuk-tuk driver went to check out the old temples. The coolest one was the first and were we actually paid the 50 baht entrance as well. We saw some other too but didn't wanna pay any more cash to see them up close. The tuk-tuk costed about 200 bath in total and the boys paid for their trip back to the train station while letting me out at my guest house on the way back. Not to expensive but a lot more then taking the local boat which I found out the day after, taking you to the train station with a few minutes walk on each side for about 4 baht! I knew it!!





My first temple in Ayutthaya.


Something old, something new.


Everyone needs a bit of clothing.


The cool Buddha head that was INSIDE the tree.


And then it started raining but it didn't matter, +35 degrees any ways.



The local boat, Ayutthaya is surrounded by a river.


One of the markets in Ayutthaya with so much food! And way to much meat.
This entry was posted on Thursday, June 25, 2009 and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: