The Ocean
Monday, July 14, 2008
I am glad to report that I have survived the first day of school. It feels a lot like the things I did last year in some ways and in others totally new, like the audio/video class I'll be having tomorrow. We started out with a welcoming ceremony a so called Põwhiri which is an old Maori tradition. And we had to sing a song to =). It goes like this:

E toru nga mea
Nga mea nunui
E ki ana
Whakapono
Tumanako
Ko te mea nui
Ko te aroha

Which, from what I understand, is somewhat like a prayer and is about trust, understanding and love. Or something like that anyway. I could have done without the Christian references but it was real sweet, they talked a lot which nobody understood and we got muffins and “real” tea afterwords. We also got to take a muffin with us home but I got a bad surprise in mine, it had fish in it! A cupcake with fish? Come on? No way! I spit it out and am gonna be a lot more careful with what I eat from now on.

And oh, I got jet another student ID. It feels like I'm collecting them, I got three now so nobody can come and say that I'm not a student! But of course they are very different – in colour, pics of me and different discounts. The last one has even got a discount on the local liquor store, yay me?!

I give in, I lost the war. I admit it, I have truly caved this time. I've been longing for real tea since I got here and the tea shop that I found today had already closed. So I bought, no you wont believe it, Earl Gray. I know, this time I've gone to far. But Cat, your going to have to take the blame for this one! And they only had it in pre packed bags as well. Still... Yummi!

There were lots of introductions throughout the hole day and drawing & design class, which seams real good but the classroom is freezing cold. You really start to wonder, I mean they have been living here for quite a few generations and still they don't really get this with double glass windows, thick walls and good heating. But I got some slippers and another warm sweater today so I'm doing fine.

I also got some nice blisters under my feet, which keep on growing each day. And I had the most idiotic idea today, I just got to see the ocean. So off I went and I got to tell you that it's a lot like San Francisco always looks like in films, up a hill and then down again. At last I got there any ways, and it was astonishing. Lovely, that's why I moved here.

But the ocean can be really cruel to, not just beautiful to look at, nice to smell and calming to hear. No, it had a totally different effect on me today. It was like the everlasting prof that I'm not gonna see Cat, mum and the other for a long while. That I am on the other side of the world. So I sat down and cried. Again. Seams like it's all I do when I think about you guys. I miss you a hole lot! It feels like being between to homes, I said goodbye to my life back in Sweden (but not in the way that I wanna forget you or not have any contact, on the contrary!) and I haven't yet build up a “friend base” here in NZ. But I also realize that it wouldn't have mattered if I had gone to Denmark, Africa or Russia. You would have been to far away for the hugs I want right now any way.

On my way home I ran into a big fat cat that snuggled up to me and purred. He reminded me a lot of “my” own cat back home, except for the fat, all furry and having four legs part. But it felt like I was petting you, like I just to do.

Every time it gets really hard I take out my little small knitted sweater I got from my mum, it means that she is always under my “pullover” and real close to me. And I look at the little heart I got from Cat, remembering what's inside and imagining his arms around me, and even though it makes me wanna cry all the time it's also comforting to know that you guys are out there.

I've got a film on the ocean as well but I'm a bit scared of loading it up here, it seams like using the internet only for writing and chatting is making me automatically download a massive amount and I only get 1 gb included in the internet pricing each moth, which I already overrated. So I guess for now there are no more skype calls for me. At least until I figure out a way how to deal with this hole thing. Going back to isolation.

Theme of the day: Everything new
Song of the day: Anthony - Blue Angel
Torrent for that song: http://www.torrentz.com/b0e343897847f0d7fdd497f0b51b8674716b390e
(Blogger is giving me a hard time on just about everything from links to publishing right now.)
This entry was posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 comments:

On Monday, July 14, 2008 at 2:02:00 PM GMT+2 , Leo said...

Awww!

But -

what is "real tea" anyway?

 
On Monday, July 14, 2008 at 2:09:00 PM GMT+2 , isobelll said...

you know, the kind you showed me! The one with actual leafs?

 
On Monday, July 14, 2008 at 7:35:00 PM GMT+2 , Leo said...

Ah, yes. Tea as is it known - or - Camellia Sinensis. Good for you. However, some morons insist calling everything with hot water and dried leaves "tea". I'd rather say "infusion", but then again I don't go around calling all kinds of fruit "banana" just because there is a kind called that. Perhaps I'm just insane and fundamentalistic, wanting tea to contain tea, coffee coffee, water water and so on.

 
On Tuesday, July 15, 2008 at 12:32:00 PM GMT+2 , isobelll said...

you are crazy but you already knew that didn't you?

 
On Tuesday, July 15, 2008 at 12:46:00 PM GMT+2 , Anonymous said...

Hi babe!

i miss you :( btw i read these two articles today. pure coinsidence. http://sydsvenskan.se/system/topicRoot/Amalthead_det/

and http://www.idg.se/2.1085/1.171683

Almost scary :-)

 
On Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 8:00:00 AM GMT+2 , isobelll said...

ola, i read them but didn't quite get what you mean by them, come again?

 
On Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 8:14:00 AM GMT+2 , Anonymous said...

It´s Anton Nilsson who did the amalthea-thing. An bletchely park is "bletchely".