Chill-a-While Backpackers

As I was looking for work during my summer in New Zealand I found out that there was a thing called wwoofing. Willing Workers On Organic Farms. This means that you'd work for a number of hours each day and depending on what it agreed up on you get boarding and sometimes even food. The second one being more common on farms. I never got around to finding a good farm though but spent at least a month on different backpackers (who had a small organic garden or otherwise were trying to recycle or something like that) around New Zealand. My first and best experience was in Oamaru, where I booked in at Chill-a-while backpackers. The owner was real sweet, work was rather easy and the people were absolutely great! I've made friends for life at that place.

I worked for about 2,5 hours per day. Cleaning up, doing the recycling and some garden stuff. Nothing to bad and I had at least one person to help me. That's how I meet T and A, two German girls who I consider "my German sisters". We soon became the gang together with Sam, a girl form the states, D a guy from Dunedin and a Canadian girl. I've since then meet up with T&A on several occasions, we spent Christmas and New Years together for example. =) Love y, guys!

We spent the days reading, talking/exchanging travel stories/adventures/tips, playing music, talking to the tourists and getting them to drive us to all the exiting things close by. Like Penguins, Elephant rocks, The Boulders and so on... More in Part 2.


There was an art gallery inside too!


Our little dinner table upstairs, compfy and cute.
In a typical New Zealand hippie style which I've come to love.


The owner and her somewhat crazy daughter,
also living at the backpackers.



Haning and gathering the laundery was one of our chores each day.


Getting closer to Christmas time while summer time is hitting us all, WTF?
This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 and is filed under , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: