Hitch Hiking below Zero
Monday, December 21, 2009


In the Winter Wonder Land of Sweden I decided that it was finally time for me to say hi, get some much needed hugs and love by some of my favorite people. I'd already decided this before everything went to pieces with Zhe again but gosh, then I knew I really had to get out of there. So back on the road. Only problem? Its below zero outside.

So notes to self and other who plan on hitching during wintertime when there's heaps of snow (these are an add on to the normal hitching advice I've blogged about here):
  1. Get lots and lots of lights and reflectors - try and look as a much as a Christmas tree as you can! You'll end up registered as road kill if you don't - as soon as its dark (which happens at 3 PM in Sweden) no one can see you at the side of the road.
  2. Bring a flashlight that you can flash at cars, this will also help them to see you if you get stuck somewhere.
  3. Needles to say, lots of warm clothes. You're gonna need to be able to change too, when you start sweating or they get wet form the snow.
  4. Always bring food, water and a dehydration tabbs. 
  5. Have a friend keep track on your whereabouts standing on guard if something would go wrong or if you're not txting hen for a while.
  6. In summer time, find a good spot and keep it for about half an hour. Winter? No, keep moving. Don't stick around until your frozen through and trough. Even though this means giving up a good spot, you can always return to it.
  7. In summer, every distance is a good distance. In winter hitching, you'll need to ask them more specifically what place their are gonna drop you of at. Try and stick to main roads and know where you're next gas station (for warmth!) is located. 
  8. Bring smiles, lots of smiles! As always. You'll need them when it gets dark.
  9. Make your hat look as natural as possible or not wear one at all, remember the rule of "nothing on your head" from summer time hitching.
  10. And most important of them all - make sure to check the weather if there's a blizzard heading our way!
So, 14 hours and 7 cars later with the temperature at -14 °C I arrived at my end destination - Electro Boy's place in Göteborg. Almost giving up at one point though, dark and stuck basically in the same spot for hours. Cold as fuck and having the clock tell me its gonna be even colder in a couple of hours. Gosh, that surly was the hardest hitching I've done. Nothing I recommend for a newbee.

Oh, and remember. Even if the cars can see you, there's theoretically space enough for them to pick you up, there's heaps of ice and snow covering the side of the road so a lot more people will think "nah, its to dangerous.".

Got picked up by Trix at one point which was heaps of fun! They hardly remembered me but I sure remembered them form their shows and a couple of larps/parties/mutual friends and of course Facebook. Thx heaps guys! Good company, nice stories and in the middle of it all a surprise visit at one of the guys cute dates so they could sing a Christmas carol for her. Haha! You were the best ride of the day!

Or hmm, maybe that was the couple who drove passed me on the highway at 7 PM, turned their car at the next possible exit to drive back and pick me up. Then they also decided to make a d-tour to let me out in Göteborg - yay!! I honestly don't know what I would have done if they hadn't picked me up, I was so close to giving up but I had no alternative either. Give up to what? Good part about hitching on big roads in the dark though, admitting and sharing a rather embarrassing secret here, is that you can scream, sing and cry as much as you want. No one will hear you. Which was exactly what i did. Comes in handy when another one of those "heart broken" feelings come along and turn your insides out.

Nightmare: Heaps of small weird ones. But it was so nice to sleep beside a good friend though. Thx, Elecroby.

Picture: Random internet.

Soundtrack: "Du måste finnas" - Helena Sjöholm

A beautiful song but WAY to religious for me (and no, I still don't believe in God), but for some reason I started singing it at the top of my lugns while hitching yesterday.

This entry was posted on Monday, December 21, 2009 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On Friday, February 19, 2010 at 11:22:00 AM GMT+1 , Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

 
On Saturday, February 20, 2010 at 2:29:00 PM GMT+1 , Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it