Ecosia - The eco friendly search engine
Monday, December 14, 2009

Hey, so here's a really cool new idea! Ha, its new for me at least. Of course I knew that google made heaps of money by me clicking on their links but I didn't really think about what actually happens when I hit the button. Of all the power (non-green) that feed the servers all over the world to give me, little me, an answer. My mum posted this on her Facebook and I checked it out. Cool! So I reposted it on my page and got a totally different response.


A: "The basic idea of generating revenue to buy rainforest is good but there is some manipulation (read: extravagant lies) in the video hidden under a comfortable blanket of "some say that...""

B: "It actually makes me think, what is WWF doing with the money? How more money can save more rainforests? They pay people not to cut them down or what?"

Me: "probably something like that, frankly I don't really care. The fact That the money goes to something/someone else then the big guys in suits is more then enough for me. The fact that it is used to "save the forest" is more then enough for me. I'm kinda tired of the whole "but don't you know that they are frauds too?" argument. Cause even if they are, they at least made us all think and made us spread out our money somewhat. Good enough for me."

B: "That might be creating a bigger problem for the future."

Me: "your point being? it might be a bigger problem that the forest is still standing no matter how or what made it happen or that its a good enough reason for me to use that search engine even though I actually can't check out the big bad facts behind ecosia's nice front page?"

C: "WWF is trying to (with money) to create a network of protected areas (for example rainforests). More to read at http://www.panda.org/what_we_do/where_we_work/borneo_forests/"

B: "That's what I wanted to hear - what are they actually doing with the money - creating a network of protected areas makes sense. Otherwise it goes as "Ok, give us money. More money. I said, MORE MONEY!", which does not bring saving wildlife anywhere."

Me: "well, actually. I reccon its a lot better giving organisations like WWF money then google any day, even though I might not actually know what its used for. Cause I know what the money the big guys (oh, I'm not only talking about google here) goes to - bigger cars, more meat in their food and better silicon implants. You know what? No thanks. Its even good enough for me if WWF wants to buy their 10AM eco coffee fo each time I use ecosia. Ha. Its good enough for me."


Ok, so I might have been a bit harsh there at the end but seriously. I'd rather WWF or some other green organisation owning huge amounts of rainforest then it simply being cut down. And gosh, yes! I'll still be using google on occasion. Besides I'm a huge gmail fan, I'm obviously using blogger, youtube and have recently discovered google chrome + google wave. But if using the ecosia link will get someone else some money and it is hopefully used in a green manner then, heck. I don't see the problem. What do you think?

Soundtrack: Michael Jackson - Man in the mirror
(Yeah, I've always loved him and might I add that he was a vegetarian?)
Hompage of the day: http://www.veggieboards.com/
Youtube of the day: Earthlings trailer (Download Earthlings the movie here)


This entry was posted on Monday, December 14, 2009 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: